Jonathan Numada, Ph.D.
Jonathan is our thoughtful intellect: he will think before answering and always give a wise and reasoned response. He is incredibly happy when placing his thoughts to paper, and grateful when those thoughts are published. When he asks you how you're doing, he genuinely wants to know. His years working in Korea have enabled him to read and write Korean. His years as a father have taught him to have answers on the ready.
- Ph.D. in New Testament Studies, McMaster Divinity College, 2016.
- M.T.S., Trinity Western Seminary, 2010.
- B.A., Prairie College, 2001.
- “Joachim Jeremias’s Quest for the Theology of the Historical Jesus,” chapter in Pillars of Biblical Interpretation, ed. Stanley E. Porter and Sean A. Adams. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, forthcoming.
- John and Anti-Judaism: Reading the Gospel in Light of Greco-Roman Culture (Pickwick, 2021).
- “The Christological Appropriation of Zeal in John’s Use of Psalm 69,” chapter in Johannine Christology, ed. Stanley E. Porter and Andrew W. Pitts. Leiden: Brill, 2020.
- (with Bradley K. Broadhead). “Jazz and Mission: Reforming Ecclesiology to Meet the Needs of the Disenfranchised.” McMaster Journal of Theology and Ministry (2016): 101–25.
- “Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Lutheran Existentialism in Theological Interpretation,” chapter in Pillars of Biblical Interpretation, eds. Stanley E. Porter and Sean A. Adams, 2:71–95. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2016.
- “Aristeas and Social Identity: Creating Similarity from Continued Difference.” Journal of Greco-Roman Christianity and Judaism 11 (2015): 82–103.
Courses Taught - Korean
- MCS 500Q Introduction to the Korean Global Leadership Program
- BIB 540Q New Testament Foundations
- BNT 634Q Exposition of the Gospel of Mark
- MCS 810Q Graduating Essay
Courses Taught - English
- BIB 540 New Testament Foundations
- BIB 640 New Testament Theology
- BNT 601 Greek Exegesis
- BNT 602 Greek Syntax
- Academic Dean, Northwest Seminary & College, 2022 to present
- Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies, Northwest Seminary & College, 2019 – 2022
- Adjunct Faculty, ACTS Seminaries, May 2015 to present.
- Adjunct Faculty, Northwest Baptist Seminary, May 2015 to December 2018.
- 1 Maccabees
- Jewish Social Identity in Ptolemaic Egypt
- Nineteenth and early twentieth-century German theological scholarship
- Jewish-Christian dialogue and the Gospel of John